Tuesday 7 June 2016

SPIC EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH POET KOLADE OLANREWAJU FREEDOM

Speaking Pen International Concept (SPIC) Interview Session with Poet Kolade Olanrewaju Freedom, held at the SPIC Family Whatsapp Group, hosted by SPIC Interviewers Unit, on Sunday, 29th of May, 2016 between 8pm to 10:52pm.

SPIC:
It's few minutes to the awaited time.

Please if you are active signify by any of these smileys.
Remember, smileys only until it's time for general questions for our guest.

SPIC:
Greetings to all lovers and writers of Poetry. I've got a wonderful guest tonight, an award winning Poet. Who is he?
Please let's welcome Poet Kolade Olanrewaju.

Poet Kolade:
Everyone here seems to be a ponderer.

SPIC:
Welcom sir, Kindly introduce yourself to the house.

Poet Kolade:
Good evening, House. With poet being used before my names by the interviewer, I've just a little left to say. I'm a literary editor, a blog designer, an e-published and a content creator for websites.
I've two poetry collections entitled 'The Light Bearer' and 'Punctured Silence'. My undying passion for poetry has made me function in the capacity of a moderator for various poetry contests including the prestigious Nigerian Students Poetry Prize.

SPIC:
Poet KOLA please tell us, do you have a Pen name?

Poet Kolade:
Yes, I do.
Interestingly, it is not used independent of my birth names. I prefer addressing it as an adopted name.

SPIC:
So tell us the name.

Poet Kolade:
FREEDOM

SPIC:
Wow!, the name speaks. You are free indeed.

SPIC:
How did you come about the name?

Poet Kolade:
I could recall bearing the name briefly in my secondary school - Federal Government College, Ikirun. Then, there was no personal ideology behind it, I was just influenced by the influence it had on my  brother's political campaign for the position of SUG President at FUTA.

When I started writing creatively, I took the name more serious as it signifies 'expression without restriction'.

SPIC:
I see, Okay tell us what type of Poet are you? Written Poet, performance Poet or Spoken word Poet?

Poet Kolade:
I'm first a written poet before anything else. However, I can also be classified as a momentary performance poet as there were instances were I got intoxicated enough to give breath to my poems on some selected platforms.

SPIC:
Wow, that is challenging and encouraging. Kudos to you.

Poet Kolade:
Thank you.

SPIC:
You're welcome. it's a pleasure.
Which poetry devices do you use more often?

Poet Kolade:
As a poet, your works thrive on the adequate use of poetic devices. They make your works come alive; they 'flesh up' your frame, that is, the subject matter.

I make use of all known poetic devices including Metaphors, Similes,Personification,Oxymoron,Hyperbole,Euphemism, Alliteration,Oxymoron and a host of others.

SPIC:
Okay, but which ones you use more. Like if I pick five of your poems now on different title. Which of the devices can I find more?

Poet Kolade:
You'll find Metaphors dining with Similes while Personification looks on as Enjambment runs around on the skate of Alliteration.

SPIC:
Hmmm Poet Freedom, I love the way you put up that answer. Yea that's Poets for you.

SPIC:
Is spoken words really Poetry?

Poet Kolade:
Maybe you should have used it this way - Spoken Word Poetry and not just Spoken Word.
The former is similar to saying this: Oral Poetry. Spoken Word - Oral Poetry - Poetry.Spoken Word Poetry - Oral Poetry.

I, however, cannot affirm poetry's similarity with the latter - Spoken Word.
Even if you say you're doing Spoken Word Poetry, does it really adorn the page poetically when 'paged'? Does it meet the standards of poetry?
Just as some written poems cannot be accepted as poetry, the same goes for poetry spoken.

The line is drawn where the qualities of good poetry are affirmed to be present in a poem written or spoken.

SPIC:
I see. What an eye opener!
Tell us of prizes and awards you have won?

Poet Kolade:
Am I expected to talk about academic prizes as well? I won a few in Primary School (smiles).

SPIC:
Yes, tell us all.

Poet Kolade:
In 2013, I was awarded an inspirational poet by the National Library of the Philippines. I also topped the list of top 5 poems in Category A Of Write, Share, Be Read Competition (UK).
In the same year, I was shortlisted in Inner Child Essay Competition, and was rewarded with a publishing scholarship that enabled me publish my first poetry collection in US.

SPIC:
Wow, that's amazing.

Poet Kolade:
In 2014, I won SPIC Love Poetry Contest on a Friday.
I was rated among the top 30 Poets that rocked Nigeria in 2014 by EGC.

SPIC:
Am not surprised, he is Freedom!!

Poet Kolade:
Recently, I was awarded a Universal Inspirational Poet in Accra, Ghana by PENTASI B and the Ghanaian Government.

SPIC:
Wow thanks for sharing that with SPIC Family.

Poet Kolade:
I can't possibly recall all, but I've mentioned the notable ones.

SPIC:
Can you tell us the name of your favourite Poet and what you love about the poet?

Poet Kolade:
Writing takes courage. Writing poetry takes greater courage. All poets who are courageous enough to share their works with others have a spot on my Favorite Poets' List.
However, I'm sentimental about a poet whose poem 'Invictus' influenced my writing style and writing mood - William Henley.
I admire the gutsiness of his poem *Invictus* and his defiance (to the the dictates of circumstance) as a poet.

SPIC:
Okay.
What inspires you to write poems?

Poet Kolade:
Life.
An attempt to capture what happened, what has happened, what happens, what is happening and what will happen, makes my pen bleed.

SPIC:
So do you write other genres apart from Poetry?

Poet Kolade:
I do. Academically,I am compelled to write other genres. Creatively, I'm restricted to poetry writing alone. Even if I write prose, elements of poetry tend to be dominant in it.

SPIC:
Okay, that's the spirit.
Do you make money from Poetry, if yes, how?

Poet Kolade:
I make money from poetry indirectly.  Having published two collections of poems, copies are being sold. Consequently, interrupted revenue is being generated.

Also, I've been invited for one or two poetry programmes where I was given a stipend.

SPIC:
Hmmm. You said "consequently interrupted revenue is being generated," Explain?

Poet Kolade:
Hehehehe...
You only get money off books sold, and that doesn't happen always.
Living off poetry alone seems unrealisable. One has to be versatile.  From the introduction of myself, this seems to be a pragmatic response.

SPIC:
Okay.
Have you ever had you poem criticized before, if yes, how, by who, when, where?

Poet Kolade:
Yes. I remember my poem being labelled 'prosaic' 3 years ago on Facebook by an editor who worked on my first collection. I had hurt his ego by passing a demeaning remark on a song he was *jamming' online. The validity of his comment cannot be ascertained due to the circumstances. Nevertheless, I've grown greatly within the last 3 years (either from being prosaic to being poetic, or being poetic to being more poetic).
Recently, a feigned critic also wrote an unbalanced review of my latest poetry collection - Punctured Silence. A rejoinder by a fellow critic buried his.

SPIC:
Its nice to have you here once again Mr Kolade Freedom.

SPIC:
Yes, I wish he stays with us throughout eternity.

SPIC:
Nice,
Good evening family, I am Don Kolawolu,co-host on this interview session.

Poet Kolade:
Good to be handed over to a male poet. I'll probably be 'freer' to express myself. Good evening, Don Kolawolu. Good night, Lady Abigail.

SPIC:
Okay. Just like that?. I need allowee.

SPIC:
Sir, can you tell us one of your best moment as a poet.

Poet Kolade:
My best moment as a poet can be traced to the past that shows me introducing the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize to some students and student-journalists at the Students' Union Building of University of Ibadan. It symbolizes the fulfillment of a long-conceived vision.

SPIC:
That really show your passion for poetry and determination.

Poet Kolade:
Yes. I'm passionate about such a passion that solely constitutes my personality.

SPIC:
Every poet or writer has something or sometime that they started out to do what they really want to do.
When did you realize you want to be a writer/poet?

Poet Kolade:
At age 7, I set out to be a Mechanical Engineer. You wouldn't blame me; my siblings are all sciences-inclined. Then, my sister was studying Chemical Engineering and I ignorantly believed Mechanical Engineering was superior - mere fascination.
Things took a different turn in 2011 when I made up my mind to study an art related course despite having Science O' Levels.  A crossover to Arts in the same year triggered my rebirth.

SPIC:
Wow!
What could have prompted the crossover?

Poet Kolade:
Quest for happiness embedded in sense of fulfilment
It was self-motivated. I had published my two poetry collections, got featured in countless anthologies before seating in a lecture room. No writing workshops either.

SPIC:
As a poet, what is the measure of success for a poet?

Poet Kolade:
A multi-faceted question.
How does a poet measure his success or influence? Having your works (poems) speak positively to individuals who in turn influence their respective societies positively. The success of a poet can simply be graded on the scale of 'my poem fought this ill to a stand still, 'my words inspired this person unto greatness', my works will outlive me to carve the right path for posterity to tread'.
Sorry it took so long to respond. It's a question that needs reflection, not to be answered anyhow.

SPIC:
Hmm.
So as a renowned and first class poet, how do you measure your success? Can you share with us?

Poet Kolade:
I measure my success based on the relevance of the message of my poems to readers, based on the level of 'I could relate to it', based on the association between saying and doing.
Also, I crave the birth of many 'in-the-womb' poets. So, I'm happy when I deliver a baby poet in the hospital of attention and nurture.

SPIC:
Okay, how can one begin  a ppoem, I mean, what is the driving force that sparks the first line and how do one follow through?

Poet Kolade:
I need to write this; I can't turn a blind eye.
You can't give what you don't have. The driving force is sustained by the quantity of poetic ingredients present in your mind. That is why it is essential for one to continually hone his craft either by reading or subjecting oneself to tutelage of masters of the art.
Knowledge is what channels inspiration towards excellence.

SPIC:
Sir, What words do you have for Speaking Pen International Concept's "SPIC FAMILY" (Group of poets that nominated you to be interviewed)?

Poet Kolade:
Discover your passion, be passionate about it, be selfless about it, be consistent with it, and  success will show greatness where you reside.

SPIC:
Now that's rhema.
But before the house start asking their questions.

SPIC:
What is your advice for poets looking up to you?

Poet Kolade:
Advice for poets:
Look inward before looking outward. You've to believe in yourself before you can get others to believe in you.

SPIC:
Thanks so much Mr Olanrewaju Kolade Freedom, we celebrate you. Now we would like to entertain few questions.
Questions from the house before we call this session a memory.

Poet Kolade:
You're most welcome, dear host.

Spic Beatitude:
Hello Mr Kolade, can you please tell us your course of study?

Poet Kolade:
Communication and Language Arts.

Poet Kolade:
The nature of reactants determines the product. What you take in determines what you will excrete.
You improve your writing skills by first improving your reading skills. Afterwards, you can talk about consistency. I hope I've answered your question, sir/ma?

SPIC:
Wow, it's being a wonderful time.
Due to time we are no longer going to take questions.

Poet Kolade:
Okay. If there is any question anyone desires to ask, it can be privately done as opined by a member of the family.
Thanks for making every minute spent here worthwhile. I appreciate your appreciation.
All the best!

SPIC:
Goodnight, House
Seizing this opportunity to say a big thank you to our special guest for honouring our invitation. The sky is your starting point, Poet Kola.
Also a big thank you to all the participants. I pray our pen pay us soon. Bye.

HOSTS: Spic Abigail and spic Kolawolu, of SPIC Family.

Other active SPICs during the interview session:
Sunday Abedunde, Mercy Akintola, Mirzadekunme, Olamide Kmixers, Eliezer, Diamog, Kcpwesh, Withoutwax, Aswagaawy, Pheor, Uncle Fred, Umoh, Tersemann, Muyi, Olawale Samuel, Sirdamait, Sheilyrics, Winlade, Jeomen, Opacash, Naporoo, Umar Ajetunmobi, Bada Yusuf Amao, Kwen Toosen, LOSmercy, Max, Brand Manager, Emaculate, Mac H, Bukdam, Chechyn, Josh, Lawrence, P'fresh, Rachael Ogunmuyiwa, Enreal, Penmind, Maryam Damilola, Khudrah, Amioluwa, and Hollumuyiwah. 

Compiled by:
Spic Abdulhafeez T. Oyewole (H.T.O) and Ogunjimi Anuoluwa of the SPIC Compilation and Interviewers Unit respectively

Speaking Pen International Concept (SPIC)
Www.facebook.com/speakingpen
Www.speakingp.blogspot.com
Www.speakingpen.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

GET BONUSES FROM US